Having been led by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior; and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit; we do now, in the presence of God, angels, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with the other believers of Sovereign Grace, as one body in Christ:
- to submit to the authority of the Scriptures as the authority on all issues (Psalm 119; 2 Timothy 3:14-17; 2 Peter 1:19-21).
- to pursue the Lord Jesus Christ through regular Bible reading, prayer, fellowship and practice of spiritual disciplines, and to teach our children the same (Luke 18:1; Acts 17:11; 1 Corinthians 9:24-27; Ephesians 5:1-21; 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22).
- to follow the command and example of Jesus by participating in the ordinances given to His Church by being baptized after my conversion and by regularly remembering and celebrating the person and work of Christ through the Lord’s Supper (Romans 6:4; Matthew 26:26-29).
- to actively participate in the life of this church by attending weekly services, living in community with others, participating in members’ meetings, and serving both those within and outside of Sovereign Grace. (Acts 2:42-47; Hebrews 10:23-25; Titus 3:14).
- to steward the resources God has given us, including time, talents, spiritual gifts and finances. This includes regular financial giving, service and participation in community that is sacrificial, cheerful and voluntary (Matthew 25:14-30; Romans 12:1-2; 2 Corinthians 8-9; 1 Peter 4:10-11).
- by God’s grace, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to walk in holiness in all areas of life as an act of worship to Jesus Christ. To strive to put certain attitudes and actions to death while stirring and stimulating love and good deeds through the Spirit. To love our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ and to consider their interests in higher regard than my own (1 Peter 1:13-16, 4:1-3; Philippians 2:3).
- to take seriously the responsibility of Christian freedom, especially actions or situations that could present a stumbling block to another (1 Corinthians 8:1-13; Romans 14-15; Galatians 5:13).
- to repent quickly of sin and to submit myself to the accountability of others and discipline of the church in the event of sin (Romans 8:13; 2 Corinthians 13:11; Galatians 6:1; Colossians 3:5; James 5:16; 1 John 1:6-10).
- to submit to the elders of the church and diligently strive for unity and peace within the church (Ephesians 4:1-3; Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 5:5).
- to pray for the ministries, members, mission, elders, leadership, and activities of Sovereign Grace Church (Romans 15:5; 1 Corinthians 12:25).
- to affirm and uphold the beliefs of Sovereign Grace Church. (Ephesians 4:14; 1 Timothy 1:10)
- to pray for and make the most of opportunities to share the gospel and to live all of life with gospel intentionality (Matthew 28:18-20; 2 Timothy 1:8; Romans 1:16).
- If we move from this place, we will, as soon as possible, unite with another church whereby we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s word.
Sovereign Grace Church of Statesboro Church Membership Covenant